Sydney Nova Scotia Postal code

The Wildlife Resources Card

** Click here for Wildlife Resources Card: Renewal Notice

The Wildlife Resources Card (WRC) is a wallet-sized identification card issued to eligible persons who wish to engage in various activities licensed or authorized under the Wildlife Act and Regulations. The WRC, implemented and introduced on June 1, 2005, replaced the Nova Scotia Firearm Hunting Certificate, Bow Hunting Certificate and the Fur Harvester Certificate. Wildlife Resources Cards are valid for five years (from date of issue) unless otherwise determined by the Department of Natural Resources.

The face of every Wildlife Resources Card contains:

  1. Client’s name, eye colour, height, gender, and date of birth
  2. Certification codes identifying which licence(s) the client is eligible to hold/purchase
  3. A 9-digit unique client Identification Number
A Wildlife Resources Card, with appropriate certification code(s), is required by:
All Nova Scotia residents in order to:
a) Purchase any resident licence (regular or senior) issued under the Wildlife Act and Regulations;
b) Purchase any commercial licence (Furbuyer, Hide Buyer, Taxidermist, Nuisance Wildlife Operator, Pheasant Preserve Operator, Guide) ;
c) Purchase a Nova Scotia Wildlife Habitat Stamp (base licence) for the purpose of snaring snowshoe hare or for taking other harvestable wildlife without the use of a firearm, crossbow, bow or trap;
d) Purchase a falconry permit;
e) Enter any DNR wildlife harvesting related draw- includes the annual Moose Hunting Draw, Antlerless Deer Hunting Draw and the Belleisle Marsh Waterfowl Hunting Blind Draw.
All Non-Residents in order to:
a) Purchase any commercial licences
b) Purchase a falconry permit

How to Apply for a Wildlife Resources Card

Residents and Non-Residents can obtain a WRC:

  1. Online at:
  2. Visa or Mastercard is required to pay the application fee. (currently $7.78 + HST but subject to change without notice)
  3. Pre-paid credit cards are not accepted.
  4. Application fee (currently $7.78 + HST but subject to change without notice) will be automatically charged to the phone number used to make the call
  5. Cell phones cannot be used
  6. Phone lines available 24 hours a day, seven days a week
  7. If you experience difficulties getting through, contact your phone service provider to determine if you have a 1-900 block on your phone.

Note for Non-Residents (See Also: FAQs Section below): In order to obtain a Non-Resident WRC (required to purchase any commercial licences), non-residents must provide proof of having successfully completed a NS DNR recognized Hunter/Trapper/Bow/Crossbow Education Course (in Nova Scotia or another province, state or country) or proof satisfactory to the Department that you are entitled to hunt with a firearm, bow, or crossbow in another jurisdiction. Whether your order a non-resident WRC by phone or online, you will be prompted to forward copies of your appropriate certificate(s) to the Hunter Education Coordinator by:

  1. Fax to: 902-424-7735
  2. Mail to:
    Hunter Education Coordinator
    Department of Natural Resources
    P.O. Box 698
    Halifax, N.S. B3J 2T9

Information Required when Applying for a Wildlife Resources Card

  • Full Name
  • Date of Birth
  • Height
  • Eye Colour
  • Mailing Address (including postal code)
  • Civic Address (including postal code)
  • Telephone Number
  • Email address- if applicable
  • Proof of successfully completing a Nova Scotia approved hunter/bow/crossbow/trapping course. Proof can include:
    1. Master # from your old NS Firearms Hunting Certificate or:
    2. Old Trapper/Fur Harvester (Tcode) number or;
    3. Course Completion Card number.

    Changing Your WRC Contact Information

    If DNR does not have your current contact information, you may experience difficulties using online applications such as: registering for courses, applying to annual moose and antlerless deer draws, completing online harvest report forms, booking a shooting range etc and may not receive updates on current licensing issues and changes.

    There are three ways to update your contact information:

    Changing Your Name

    Clients who require a new WRC as a result of a name change (marriage, divorce, etc) are required to complete two steps (in either order):

  • Fax: 902-424-7735
    Subject Line: WRC Name Change
  • Picture Identification is defined as:

    1. Federal or Provincial picture identification showing new name (driver’s licence, Firearms Possession and Acquisition Licence, passport) or;
    2. Federal or Provincial picture identification showing previous name and documentation of legal name change.

    How to Replace Lost/Destroyed Wildlife Resources Cards

    If you order a replacement WRC, the validation period will start from the date the replacement card is printed.

    There are two options for ordering a replacement WRC:

    1. Online at:
  • Visa or Mastercard required to pay the fee (currently $7.78 + HST but subject to change without notice).
  • How to Renew my Expired Wildlife Resources Card

    April 2015: The requirement to renew Wildlife Resources Cards is currently suspended. More information is available online at:

    Customer Service Issues

    1. Information regarding the status of their WRC application
    2. A change to the personal information printed (or omitted from) on their WRC
    3. Update(s) to their contact information

    Frequently Asked Questions

    Q. Why is the Department asking for a client’s phone number and e-mail address?
    .A. In order to use online applications including: applying for moose and deer draws, registering for courses, completing/submitting harvest reports, updating their contact information, and using the online shooting range booking system, Wildlife Resources Card holders require a Personal Identification Number (PIN). This number is created by the WRC holder by using his/her WRC Client Id, phone number, postal code and email address. Therefore, it is important to ensure that your contact information is complete and accurate. This information may also be used by the Department in order to provide announcements or contact you for input on wildlife harvesting or license-based matters.

    Q. Why is an applicant for the Wildlife Resources Card asked for their eye colour, height and weight?
    A. The Wildlife Resources Card is not a photo identification. Therefore, eye colour, height and weight appear on the face of each card to assist in field verification that the individual holding the card is indeed the individual to whom it was issued.

    Q. Do Non-Residents Require a Wildlife Resources Card?

    A. This is a two part answer. Refer to the “How to Apply for a Wildlife Resources Card” section above for more information:

    1. Yes. Non-residents are required to have a Non-Resident Wildlife Resources Card in order to purchase a Nova Scotia falconry permit or commercial licence (Furbuyer, Hide Buyer, Taxidermist, Nuisance Wildlife Operator, Pheasant Preserve Operator, Guide);
    2. No. At this time, non-residents who wish to purchase non-resident wildlife harvesting licences are not required to have a Non-Resident WRC but may certainly purchase one for convenience. The Non-Resident WRC, with appropriate certification code(s), is identical to the resident WRC except that the words “Non-Resident” are clearly written on face of card. The Non-Resident WRC provides all the information required to allow the purchase of non-resident harvesting licences.
  • It's Interesting

    • Capstick is a community on Cape Breton Island in Victoria County Nova Scotia on the Meat Cove Road off the Cabot Trail 92 kilometres (57 mi) from Baddeck.The federal Electoral Riding is Sydney—Victoria.
    Descriptive Note On the Sydney Coal Field, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia: To Accompany a Rev. Ed. of the Geological Map of the Coal Field, Being Sheets 133, 134, 135 N.S.
    Book (Ulan Press)

    Related Posts